Image
Little Prophetess

Karl Schmidt was born in Rottluff, today a district of Chemnitz, Saxony, and began to call himself Schmidt-Rottluff in 1905. On 7 June 1905, the group of artists known as Die Brücke (“the bridge”) was created by the architecture students Schmidt-Rottluff, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl and Erich Heckel in Dresden. In November 1905, the first exhibition of Die Brücke opened in Leipzig. The group later dissolved in 1913.

In 1937, 608 of Schmidt-Rottluff’s paintings were seized from museums by the Nazis and several of them shown in exhibitions of “degenerate art” (“Entartete Kunst”). In 1947, Schmidt-Rottluff was appointed a professor at the University of Arts in Berlin-Charlottenburg. He died in Berlin in 1976.
Image
Image
Man and woman in the moonlight
Image
Russian forest
Image
Russian Landscape with Sun
Image
Young woman with pigtails

Karl Schmidt nació en Rottluff, hoy un distrito de Chemnitz, (Sajonia), y comenzó a llamarse a sí mismo Schmidt-Rottluff en 1905. El 7 de junio de 1905, el grupo de artistas conocidos como Die Brücke («El Puente») fue creado por los estudiantes de arquitectura Schmidt-Rottluff, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl y Erich Heckel en Dresde. En noviembre de 1905 se celebró la primera exposición de Die Brücke en Leipzig. El grupo se disolvió en 1913. En 1937, 608 de sus cuadros fueron confiscados de los museos por los nazis y varios de ellos mostrados en exposiciones de «Arte degenerado» (Entartete Kunst). En 1947, Schmidt-Rottluff fue nombrado profesor en la Universidad de Arte de Berlín-Charlottenburg.  Murió en Berlín en el año 1976.
Image
Cats
Image
Girl from Kovno
Image
Girl with outstretched Arms